What is the most effective nootropic?
This is one of the most common questions we get asked on a day-to-day basis. This makes sense; this site is all about finding the best brain supplements after all. However, this isn’t an easy question to answer.
People from all walks of life want to know what the best, most powerful, truly effective nootropic is so they can start using it.
We can’t blame them – there’s so much misinformation out there about which brain supplements work, what substances do or don’t do, and what kind of effects you can actually experience from commonly used nootropic stacks.
After all, if you just listen to what supplement manufacturers say, then everything works!
But we know that’s not true – the vast majority of brain supplements out there don’t work at all.
We’d say 90% of brain supplements on the market today are totally useless; you’re more likely to see significant improvements in brain function if you drink an extra cup of coffee than if you use some of the scam nootropics out there right now.
The worst nootropics out there right now contain nothing but simple herbs and vitamins that you can get from your local supermarket for a dollar a bag. These natural herbs, minerals, vitamins, and amino acids do nothing for cognitive function.
But not all nootropics are like that.
There are some amazing nooropic substances out there that can genuinely improve focus, enhance memory function, reduce stress, and promote brain health.
A handful of natural substances can even promote physical brain adaptations in the brain, including neuron proliferation, synapse growth and maintenance, and more.
So what are the most effective nootropics?
The 15 Most Effective Nootropics
Here are the 15 most effective natural nootropics available for purchase right now:
- Bacopa monnieri – Improves memory retention and recall in 6-12 weeks; may promote dendrite branching
- Gingko biloba – Increases blood flow in the brain, leading to improved brain cell energy levels and nutrient delivery
- Tyrosine – Improves cognitive performance in people subjected to acute stressors, such as sleep deprivation, extreme cold, and hunger
- Citicoline – Rapidly increases choline levels in the brain, which increases formation of acetylcholine and phosphatidylcholine; these two compounds are needed for synapse communication and brain cell formation respectively
- Rhodiola rosea – Drastically reduces stress and anxiety levels
- Ashwagandha – Suppresses cortisol levels, reducing anxiety and promoting clear-headed thinking
- Alpha-GPC – Like Citicoline, Alpha-GPC raises choline availability in the brain, which enhances overall brain function and promotes brain cell growth
- Lion’s Mane Mushroom – Lion’s Mane Mushroom has been shown to increase the expression of nerve growth factor, which promotes the growth of new brain cell structures, including neurons, synapses, and dendrites
- DHA – A dietary fat that makes up the vast bulk of gray matter in the brain; most people get nowhere near enough DHA for optimal brain development as it is only found in algae or fish oil
- Maritime pine bark extract – Contains powerful antioxidants which easily cross the blood brain barrier; it has the added bonus of increasing cerebral blood flow
- Phosphatidylserine – A phospholipid needed for the formation of new brain cell membranes and for apoptosis (programmed cell death)
- ALCAR – An amino acid compound which increases mitochondrial efficiency, increasing brain energy levels
- Nicotine – A naturally-occurring stimulant which suppresses fatigue and sharpens focus
- Caffeine – An extremely powerful natural stimulant which quickly increases energy levels, reduces fatigue, increases focus and boosts motivation; the ultimate nootropic in many ways!
- NAC – N-Acetyl-Cysteine is a precursor to one of the body’s most powerful antioxidants and detoxifying agents: glutathione
Using these natural nootropics can greatly enhance your cognitive performance, support brain health, and promote long-term mental performance as you get older. The best thing to do, however, is to use a combination of these brain-boosting substances to enhance every aspect of cognition. That way, you get total brain optimization.